POSTS

Sunday, November 18, 2012

Mexican Pulled Pork


Earlier this year I was fortunate enough to be seated near Detective Chow from Food Scene Investigation at a bloggers dinner. An amazing opportunity arose where he could share some free range pig raised with love on the south coast. It feels so good to eat meat from an animal you know has lived in a natural environment, the way that it should be.


I was delighted with this beautiful piece of pork for braising, and what better dish to create then a slow cooked melt in your mouth one.
 I used Sammy and Bella's recipe for Mexican Pulled Pork.



The meat is seasoned and seared.



The onions, garlic, cumin and oregano (can you already smell the aroma of mexico?!) are cooked until translucent.



How beautiful are these spices, paprika and chipotle.



Into the pot they go along with tomatoes,vinegar and coriander (roots and stems).



Then the pork and enough water to cover. 



The pork is covered and baked in a slow oven for four hours turning every hour.



After resting for ten minutes it is gently pulled apart with two forks.




The sauce is reduced down until thick.



And combined with the pork.



Done, easy. 
Then you can serve however you wish, so many options with this tasty dish.



The first night I served it in some crunchy tortilla bowls.



It was very much enjoyed. 
Not to forget the next night when we served it with corn chips, yum!



18 comments:

  1. That's a beaut piece of meat... the recipe sounds great Muppy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love slow cooked meat!!! This looks sooooosooo good. I don't eat pork though, do you reckon it would work with lamb maybe? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Slow cooking allows flavours to develop so many layers doesn't it? What lovely meals indeed, and what a cute photo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How tasty is Mr P1 Piggy. We had some of our mince in dinner the other night and it was a real privilege to eat a piece of meat where you are really only a few steps removed for the farmer/animal. Your pulled pork looks great - Dave makes a version of this that uses "liquid smoke".

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum, looks amazing and sounds easy to make. I'm a big advocate of raising animals as close as possible to their natural state, too. PS: great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum! I didn't realise you could get pulled pork like this, I always thought it was roasted! I want some NOW!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum!! Pulled pork is one of my favourites. This looks beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, your pulled pork looks so delicious! I am thinking of a big fat burger buns with this! Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. looks amazing! Thanks for trying our recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am a sucker for Mexican! This is a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've always wanted to make pulled pork but sadly I just don't have the time for it. Yours looks and sounds so good.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mmm I love that sauce that you reduce down! No, I don't think I'll become a vegetarian with dishes like this around! :P

    ReplyDelete
  13. This pork looks so flavorful and really delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  14. How insanely delicious! I LOVE the picture of your daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I want to eat this so bad!! You make seriously awesome homecooked dinners, Muppy. I really mean it. I'm always salivating and wishing the food you share would magically appear on my table the next moment. Doesn't work like that, does it? But looks great and easy to make too. Good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Pulled pork is so popular down here in Texas. Yours looks fabulous. It is so wonderful cooked in a slow cooker. We have a new relative from Mexico and last Xmas, she made pulled pork soft tacos for the morning after Xmas. They were so so so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That looks and sounds so good. Pulled pork is now on my "one day" cooking list.

    ReplyDelete

I would love for you to comment