POSTS

Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Strawberry and Rhubarb Spiral Shortbread


This year I joined the Great Food Blogger Cookie Swap.
Not only did I get to bake a dozen cookies for three of my fellow food bloggers (Manu's Menu, Sweetly Baked, Cookie Queen Kitsch'nbut I also received three sets of delicious cookies in the mail. Win win.
Christmas Biscotti from Cut the Cookie.
Roasted Almond, Chocolate and Honeycomb cookies from ChewTown.
Peanut butter cup and pretzel cookies from Modest Munchies.
They were sooooooo good!


So for my contribution I chose to cook these spiral shortbread cookies.
Simply combine plain flour, rice flour, butter and caster sugar.


Earlier I chopped up rhubarb and strawberries, cooked in a saucepan with a little water until soft, then cooled and pureed.


Separate a third of your dough and mix in the pureed strawberry and rhubarb.



The remainder of the dough was rolled out and refrigerated for about five minutes. 
Carefully spread the fruity mix on top and refrigerate for about fifteen minutes.


Carefully roll up.
 If it cracks, stop and let it soften slightly first.


Refrigerate for an hour.
 I turn it slightly every ten minutes to try and keep it round and avoid a flat side.


Now its ready to slice and bake in a preheated oven for 25 minutes at 160 degrees celcius.



Cool on a rack.


Wrapped up ready to post.


Melt in your mouth shortbread.
 The fruitiness is on the subtle side but is made up for by the prettiness!


Strawberry and Rhubarb Spiral Shortbread
(makes three dozen)

2 cups plain flour
2 tbsp rice flour
250g butter
1/2 cup caster sugar
couple of sticks of rhubarb 
handful strawberries

Cut up the rhubarb and strawberries and place in a small saucepan. 
Add a tablespoon of water and place on a gentle heat until soft.
Set aside to cool then puree.
Combine the flours, butter and sugar until a dough forms.
Divide a third of the dough and set aside.
Roll out the remaining dough between grease proof paper until about 5 mm thick.
Place in the fridge for 5 minutes.
Combine the puree with the dough you set aside.
Carefully spread out in an even layer on the rolled out dough.
Place in fridge for about 15 minutes.
Carefully roll up. 
(NB. if it cracks you will need to let it sit at room temperature and soften a bit)
Place in fridge for an hour turning often to try and avoid a flat side.
Preheat oven to 160 degrees celcius.
Cut into slices (about 8mm) and place on lined baking tray.
Bake for 25 minutes or until just golden around the edges.
Cool on a cooling rack.
Eat.


If you want to be reminded about the cookie swap to join in next year please click here.


21 comments:

  1. Hi Muppy,

    Sad that I'm a little too late to participate this wonderful event. Nice to know our participation will enhance the awareness of CFKC.

    Your cookies look wonderful. The participant who is going to receive must be feeling very happy.

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  2. As one of your taste testers I can confirm that these were GOOD! I love the idea of a cookie swap...petty I cannot bake though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look beautiful! I love the pretty pink swirl :) That food blogger cookie swap sounds like such a great idea as well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look absolutely delightful. I love the two tone and swirl effect. A great xmas treat to give to friends and family :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. These cookies sound so yummy and they are really pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can testify that they were DELICIOUS besides being so pretty! THANK YOU Diane! I was so happy to be paired with you and receive these cookies from you! <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved the cookie swap... it is my second year.
    Your cookies look so beautiful Muppy!! I love them!!
    ... You made it look easy but I am sure it wasn't :0

    I will be participating again next year. Hope I get you ;) Although I did love the cookies I received too :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! I love the sound of these - and they look spectacular. Wish I had gotten to taste them :) What great fun the cookie swap was, I'm sure we'll all be doing it again if we keep getting to eat cookies like these.

    ReplyDelete
  9. They are so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are such a genius Muppy! My favourite fruit combo in the world too- yummo! I wish there was a gfree cookie swap, maybe I should set on up for next year?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Forget regular shortbread when you can have this beauty! :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. These spiral cookies look absolutely perfect! I love strawberries!

    ReplyDelete
  13. These look great! I have been wanting to try to bake something with rhubarb in it for a while now, and these seem like a great place to start!

    ReplyDelete
  14. So beautiful Muppy, gorgeous, absolutely gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  15. rhubarb, such a twist... ahh this would be good as a present. Merry Xmas Dear :P

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gosh, these look seriously geeeewd! Love shortbread.
    Merry Christmas - I hope this season brought about many second servings :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Omg this is SO insanely awesome I've always wanted to make spiral shortbreads. Just cause they are just awesome to look at as they are to eat. Made Shez (of one bite more)'s strawberry and rhubarb jam the other and the flavour combo was awesome! Bookmarked this to make in the new year I'm sure I'll love itttt... Thanks Muppy!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Such a great cause :) These look SO good :D I need to make these for the fam.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a simple recipe and this technique is genius!! I need to find an excuse to use it!

    ReplyDelete

I would love for you to comment